Cryogenic Gases: Six Uses and Applications
The Cold, Hard Truth
Cryogenic gases – including argon, nitrogen, oxygen, helium and carbon dioxide – are pretty cool – about -238 Fahrenheit (-150 Celsius), to be exact. They’re so cool, in fact, that they’re used for doing everything from boosting your metabolism to boosting rockets into space.
Common uses for cryogenic gases:
- Surgery – Cryosurgery has been used for years to treat a variety of diseases – particularly benign and malignant skin conditions. This type of surgery works by freezing cells before removing them from the body.
- Electronics – The ultra-low temperatures that cryogenic fluids can produce enable electrons in materials to move freely – a great benefit for designers of superconductors and in spacecraft equipment.
- Biology – Cryobiology studies the effects of extremely low temperatures on organisms. There are several areas of study in cryobiology:
- Cold adaptation, or cold hardiness, of microorganisms, plants, animals and vertebrates
- Cryopreservation of cell tissues and embryos used in invitro fertilization
- Cryonics – the low temperature preservation of humans and mammals with the intention of future revival
- Preservation of organs for transplantation
- Lyophilization (freeze-drying) of pharmaceuticals
- Cryosurgery (see above)
- Supercooling as applied to biological systems
- Food Preservation – With this application of cryogenics, foods can be kept preserved longer without any chemical threat to human consumption.
- Transportation of gases – Cryogenics can be used to transform some gases – such as natural gas – into a smaller, more transportable (that is, more liquid) form.
- Cryotherapy – Studies have shown that whole-body cryotherapy can reduce inflammation, increase energy, manage pain, and even boost metabolism.
James Oxygen: your cryogenic gas specialist in western NC
However your business uses cryogenic gases, James Oxygen & Supply can supply the product you need and the services to support it. From bulk cryogenic gas delivery to installing and setting up of your cryogenic gas system, we’ll get the job done quickly, safely, and correctly. We’ll even provide on-site safety training for your employees to prevent problems down the road.
Count on James Oxygen & Supply for your cryogenic gas needs. Contact us today to learn more about what we can do for you!